Gresham Professor of Geometry
SalaryAnnual stipend of £7,500 (plus reasonable expenses)
Applications are invited for the position of the Gresham Professor of Geometry, i.e. the mathematical sciences.
How to Apply
All applications will be managed in accordance with the process outlined below. No additional recruitment agency or executive search is being used, and no agencies may submit on another’s behalf. Formal applications must consist of:
- A statement in the form of a letter explaining your suitability for the role as against the information and criteria specified in the further particular. Please include in your statement details of where you saw the position advertised, and indicate whether, if not appointed to the Professorship, you would be interested in a Visiting Professorship (3 or 4 lectures pa).
- A Curriculum Vitae of not more than 10 pages. If it is more than 10 pages, then only the first 10 will be circulated to panel members. CVs submitted without an accompanying statement as outlined in point 1 above will not be considered.
- A list of proposed titles and abstracts for the first year’s 6 lectures (as for a submission of abstract for conference proceedings, c 200-250 words), plus an outline for the following two years (6 further lectures per year) to show the coherence (but not repetition) of your programme.
- A web link to a video of a lecture presented by you, to demonstrate your proficiency in speaking to a wide audience, appealing to both specialist and non-specialist alike.
- Indication of any social media presence you currently have eg Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, or that you are willing to use (not essential).
- Names and addresses of two referees
- Recruitment Monitoring form, which can be found here.
Applications should preferably be sent by email to Dr M. Clare Loughlin-Chow (email@example.com). For electronic submission please combine into a single (eg pdf) file if possible, and include your surname in the file title. If you send separate attachments, please put your surname at the beginning of each file name and your name in the header of each document. Applications may also be sent by post to:
Gresham College, Barnard’s Inn Hall, Holborn, London, EC1N 2HH.
The closing date for the Gresham College Professorship of Geometry is 9.00 am Monday 13 January 2020. Interviews will be held in London on Thursday 6 February 2020.
Applications are invited for the position of the Gresham Professor of Geometry, i.e. the mathematical sciences. Gresham Professors must be able to communicate with a public audience who will not normally have specialist expertise in the subject area, but who will be informed people with a thirst for increased knowledge and understanding. The College, founded in 1597, has no students, sets no examinations and awards no degrees; it offers free public lectures, which are live-streamed and archived on the Internet.
The appointment is part-time from 1 August 2020 and normally for three years. Gresham Professors present six one-hour lectures each academic year. Attendance at Academic Board meetings four times per year and some social events is also expected. The post offers excellent opportunities to widen public exposure for the successful candidate, as well as the opportunity to expand his/her communication skills. The College pays an annual stipend of £7,500 (plus reasonable expenses) and encourages applications from all backgrounds and communities.
Informal discussion may take place with the Academic Registrar, Dr M. Clare Loughlin-Chow, Gresham College, Barnard’s Inn Hall, Holborn, London EC1N 2HH, Telephone 020 7831 0575, firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 9:00 am Monday 13 January 2020
Interviews will be held in London on Thursday 6 February 2020