What is The Gresham Competition?
Gresham College runs an annual Competition for students in Year 12 (Wales and England), S5 (Scotland) and Year 13 (Northern Ireland) to promote the art of communicating complex information in a clear, concise and compelling way. Students are asked to submit a five-minute, recorded presentation on a given topic. The competition:
- supports the development of oracy skills;
- helps students with UCAS applications and job interviews;
- promotes a deeper understanding of the topic discussed;
- introduces students to the inspiring research of world-class academics.
Shortlisted candidates are invited to present in person in London. There are three awards for the best presentations (including prizes for student and the school).
- Participating in the Gresham Students competition helps students develop oracy and presentation skills useful for interviews and public speaking opportunities; it will also enhance CVs and UCAS applications.
- The entry process is quick and easy, with entries filmed and submitted within 5 minutes.
- Finalists will meet a panel of prestigious judges.
- Winners will receive cash prizes and medals.
- The schools of winners will also benefit with priority access to lectures, visits from Professors or senior leaders, and a certificate.
The 2022-23 Competition
The inaugural competition in 2022/23 focused on the environment / sustainability and attracted over 350 entries. Students were asked to answer one of five questions. Finalists were invited to present in person on January 24 2023. Joint winners of the top Gold Award were: Yemisi Oguntimirin from Southend High School For Girls and Yassin Azeb from George Spencer Academy; with Harry Nicholson from from Belfast Royal Academy and Rebecca Towns from Bishop’s Stortford College receiving Silver and Bronze Awards respectively.
To get an idea of what the competition involves please see the 2022-23 Competition Info - printable PDF
Terms & Conditions
The 2023-24 Competition
If you would like to receive updates about the next competition please sign up for our Schools' mailing list: