Professor of Astronomy
The Professorship of Astronomy is open to any discipline within astronomy or the wider physical sciences, including a range of topics from particle physics to astrophysics.
The three-year appointment (start date 1 Aug 2023) requires the professor to present six lectures each academic year. Gresham Professors also participate in College life, attending the Academic Board, participating in promotion and outreach, attending social events and acting as ambassadors for the College. The post offers excellent opportunities to widen public exposure for the successful candidate. The College pays an annual stipend of £8,000 (plus reasonable expenses) and encourages applications from all backgrounds and communities.
The closing date for application is 9:30am on Monday 9 January 2023. Interviews will be held in London on Tuesday 28 February 2023.
How to Apply
All applications will be managed in accordance with the process outlined below. No additional recruitment agency or executive search is being used, and no agencies may submit on another’s behalf. Formal applications must consist of:
- A statement in the form of a letter explaining your suitability for the role as against the information and criteria specified in the Job Description and Person Specification, as well as details of the proposed lecture series.
- A Curriculum Vitae of not more than five pages. Anything above this limit will not be submitted to the panel. CVs submitted without an accompanying statement as outlined in point 1 above will not be considered.
- A list of proposed titles and abstracts for the first year’s six lectures (as for a submission of abstract for conference proceedings, c. 200-250 words), plus an outline for the following two years (six further lectures per year) to show the coherence of your programme.
- A weblink to a lecture presented by you on the internet, to demonstrate your outstanding communication skills appealing to both specialist and non-specialist alike. Lack of such an online lecture does not preclude you from applying, but is strongly encouraged.
- Indication of any social media presence you currently have eg Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, or that you are willing to use (not essential).
- Names and addresses of two referees. Referees will be contacted only upon offer of the appointment.
- Submission of a Recruitment Monitoring form. Access the form
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org Please combine into a single (eg pdf) file if possible, and include your surname in the file title. If you send separate attachments, please put your surname at the beginning of each file name and your name in the header of each document. Applications may also be sent by post to:
Barnard’s Inn Hall
London EC1N 2HH.